" Life is not about how many likes you get. It is all about how much love you show."
#struggles by Craig Groeschel
I was feeling...well, simply put, NOT RIGHT! I was agitated, cynical, depressed and just "off". Why? I eat right, drink water, exercise, sleep, go to church. What more can I do?? The answer hit me like a ton of bricks. Between reading Pator Craig's book and hearing his October 25 message on it, I was truly CONVICTED. When you read something that brings you to non-stop gut wrenching tears, that's not just a little post it note sign, that's divine intervention at its finest. I removed the FB apps from my phone and tablet. Don't have a home computer so no temptation there. I did this "detox" on the morning of the 25th, prior to church. I had NO idea what the message would be about. Does it get anymore V-8 head smack moment than that?! Wow!!
So why did I feel compelled to do this? Why now? Why so drastic? Brutal honesty here...I WAS MISERABLE. Scrolling through FB was wasting my time, making me mad, causing mood swings and pushing my family away. Oh, and helping to push us over the allotted data allowance each month resulting in extra charges. Something FREE was costing me!! I tried to justify it staying on because eventually I will get my certification and social media is a great platform tool for reaching people. A quandary ~ do I "tough it out", meaning deal with the negativity and irritation until then? No. Just can't do it. Plus, I realized almost every sentence out of my mouth started with " Did you see the post about...?" or something similar related to FB. A real kick in the backside was when I posted huge news on FB before personally telling members of my family. They were, understandably, hurt. How dumb was I? My brother told me, "I'm old school. I want to hear it straight from you." He's 100% right!! Always did think he was.
If you've read this far, you are asking the ultimate question: Why not just limit time on social media to once a day, four 15 minutes sessions a week, or whatever? Because I'm not disciplined enough for that. I get sucked in too easily. This has to be all or nothing for me. Those little bursts of FB time will still allow those same feelings to take over. Crazy how that happens, isn't it? We don't all share the same opinions but it can almost be hurtful, even hateful, when those differences appear on social media.
* What? You don't like the same football team I do? You're wrong!
* What? You like THAT restaurant/business? I'd never go there.
* I'm offended. You're judging.
I've posted many things that are nutrition/health/fitness related and many disagree. Disagree to the tune of arguing and unfriending. Why does that hurt so much? Because I feel I'm trying to help but either the truth hurts or they don't want to hear it. I can't make people want for themselves what I want for them more. Hmmm...that sounds like a great future topic. ☺
So, here I am, almost two weeks into life without Facebook. I wonder who has even noticed but then again, this is for me, no one else. Let me tell you how it's going in a few brief bullets:
* feeling very content and at peace
* feeling more rested and positive
* feeling more energetic and clear headed
* studying more and accomplishing so much
* one of the best decisions ever
Here's the jest of it. I'm rediscovering my relationship with God, my family and my purpose. Who doesn't want that? If you're struggling like I was, I HIGHLY recommend #struggles by Craig Groeschel. Read it and let me know your thoughts!
Thanks for reading! Be happy, be healthy!
No comments:
Post a Comment